“Experts tell us that children need to hear 1,000 stories read aloud before they begin to learn to read for themselves.“–Mem Fox
1,000 Book Hall of Fame
Did you know?
- If you read only 1 bedtime story every night for 3 years, you will have read 1,095 books!
- If you read 10 books each week for 2 years, you will have read 1,040 books!
- Double that rate to complete 1,000 books in 1 year!
Who is this program for?
This program is for any child, from birth until he or she enters kindergarten.
How does it work?
- Stop by the library and pick up a notebook (reading log) and bookmark. Or do it all on the app. (Apple) (Android)
- Record the titles of the books that you read in the notebook or search/scan to add them to your child’s reading list on the app.
- Receive a sticker for every 100 books read (you may read and count the same book multiple times).
- When you reach 1,000 books, your child will receive a free book, an invitation to the 1,001 book party, and their picture in the 1,000 Book Hall of Fame!
Resources for parents
- 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten–Check out the great resources on the official 1,000 book website!
- Apple app for 1,000 Books–Download the iPhone/iPad app and scan the books you read to keep track of them.
- Android app for 1,000 Books–Download the Android app and scan the books you read to keep track of them.
- Books your child should hear before kindergarten–Need help deciding which books to read? Start with some of these!
- Reading Tips for Parents–Some good advice about how you can help your child be ready to read and ready to learn.